Investor Stream 188B
Subclass 188 business migration visa Investor Stream (normally called 188B) is a visa specially for people who have experience in successfully managing business or investing and is willing to invest A$1.5M in an Australian state or territory bond.
Duration and Conditions
This is a 4 year temporary visa. Once you have maintained an investment in Australia for 4 years, you can apply for permanent residence through the Business Innovation & Investment (Residence) Subclass 888 visa.
You have managed investments or owned a business, and to be willing to invest AUD 1.5 million in Australian State or Territory Government bonds. Specific criteria include:
- You have had business and personal net assets of at least AUD 2.25 million for the last 2 fiscal years
- Under 55 years of age, unless the nominating state or territory certifies that you will make an exceptional economic benefit; and
- Meet the pass mark in the Business Innovation and Investment Points test (currently 65)
- You must make an investment of AUD 1.5 million in Australian State or Territory bonds prior to grant of the visa
- You have 3 years of experience either managing a qualifying business or “eligible investments”, and have showed a high level of management skill
- For at least 1 of the last 5 fiscal years, you have either:
– Managed a business in which you hold a 10% shareholding; or
– Managed “eligible investments” of at least AUD 1.5 million
“Eligible investments” for the purposes of the Investor Stream include:
- Ownership interests in a business
- Cash on deposit
- Stocks or bonds
- Real estate
- Gold or bullion
- Loan to a business
This visa is only available to applicants who are nominated by an Australian State or Territory government. To be nominated, you must lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) through the SkillSelect system.
Eligibility for Permanent Residence
To qualify for a permanent Business Innovation & Investment (Residence) Subclass 888 visa, you would need to meet the following criteria:
- You have been in Australia on your subclass 188B visa for at least 2 years, within the 4 years prior to lodgement
- Maintained your investment in Australian State or Territory bonds for the last 4 years.
Note that business migration can be extremely complex, and even determining whether you have a good chance of qualifying can be difficult. In addition, you may be able to qualify in a number of different business migration categories.
If you would like us to check your likely eligibility for business migration or if you would like to know more about the visa, please contact us now and we will have our experienced RMA help you.